Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Rest of the Story


It's been said that I'm still not telling it like it really is. Perhaps people (my peeps) don't really know what this is like and what I am going through. This is the rest of the story.

As most know, I've had two chemotherapy treatments and around 20 radiation treatments so far. Chemo is the drug they slow-drip into you via I.V. (that's a needle attached to a bag of liquid chemical stuck in my arm). Radiation is getting strapped down to a table and being targeted with a giant laser-beam shooting radiation at my face and neck (you know, the kind of radiation that can give you skin cancer).

The chemo is the worst 3 or 4 days after treatment. It's like the worst flu... tired, nausea, achy, and very tired. So far the anti-nausea prescriptions have worked pretty good... only because I haven't hurled yet. Also, the chemo makes you lose all your taste buds temporarily during treatment. However, it's worse than just not having taste buds. Everything taste like metal or cardboard or worse. Whatever the taste is it makes you want to throw it back up, so eating has become work.

The radiation is harmless during treatment... can't feel a thing. It builds up though. It's now been four weeks and the inside of my mouth and throat is completely blistered. The skin is dark brown or white depending on whether it's falling off or still hanging on. This makes it uncomfortable to swallow so my entire diet is now liquid. I make shakes out of protein powder and milk... the colder the better. These are high protein, high calorie shakes designed to keep my weight up. About 10 or 12 oz drinks with 300-400 calories in each. Makes it easier to drink it down fast because the taste is so awful.

The radiation also kills my saliva glands. My saliva is almost completely gone now. Saliva is responsible for washing off the teeth to keep plaque from building up. Since I have none, I have to brush and rinse my mouth about every hour to keep my teeth from rotting out. Randomly I'll have days with either complete cotton mouth or my saliva is so thick it's like a glue. It's very hard to swallow or spit out. Usually when I do have to spit it out, it's so thick that it creates a gag-reflex and makes me almost throw-up. I've had to learn to sleep with my mouth shut to limit my having to swallow. The 2 or 3 times during the night when I do need to swallow, that gag-reflex is so bad I usually have to get out of bed to clear my throat.

Between the radiation and the chemo my hair is starting to fall out. The radiation eliminates hair wherever it treats permanently. The chemo eliminates hair temporarily all over my head. I will have permanent hair loss along the lower 1 or 2 inches of my neck. The radiation burns like a sun-burn but worse. It doesn't just burn the outside skin but burns all the way through. Even my neck and shoulders are blistered and peeling. My gums are blistered and peeling.

Besides all the unpleasantness's, I'm tired all the time. Between pain prescriptions, anti-nausea medication, chemo and radiation I'm tired and exhausted most of the time now. I sleep most of the day only up to have a protein shake, clear my throat or rinse my mouth of yeast and blistered skin.
I never did sleep very well during the night anyway, but now it's worse. To even sleep soundly for a few hours at a time I help from the doctor. It's these quiet times just before I drift off to sleep that I talk to God... that I really get a chance to thank God for making it through. I thank God every night for every little thing in my life that I didn't give much thought to before. I thank God for providing for my family when I can't. I thank God for my wife, who quietly takes care of everything so I don't have to worry. I thank God for my kids who still write me home-made cards telling me they love me "sssooooooooo much". I thank God for all the friends and relatives who take time to show love to me.
It's at night that I remember Psalm 4:8 "I will both lie down in peace, and sleep; for You alone, oh Lord, make me dwell in safety".

5 comments:

Gary said...

Thank you for sharing that, Paul. You, like Tiffany, are blessed with being so well spoken. Your messages and blogs touch the heart and soul.

It pains me to see you, my friend, have to endure so much in this lifetime. It's not like we've known each other for years or anything...heck, we've really only met a handful of times, but, it's such a pleasure knowing someone like you who takes life head-on, no matter what it brings, yet still maintains humor, hope, and great courage.

Why are you going through all this? Only our Father knows that, but there must be a purpose. Perhaps it's to bring out your humility and meekness in order for you to show what real faith is, and what it can provide in the lives of those that you touch. Perhaps it's to provide a way for you to share the love of your Father with all the people around you, and see your courage that you have been blessed with. Perhaps it's a chance for all of US to gather around you and your family and lift you up when you need it most. I don't know the reason, but I do know this: Your Father loves you and knows your needs and desires. He knows your heart. You are in His hands. Continue to let His strength lift you and your family up!

This trial will be over before long, and you'll be back to normal again soon. Through all this, you and your family will have made such a HUGE impact on the lives of all those around you that know your trial. Why? Because of your faith. I think that is exactly what your Father wants and expects of you at this time.

Stand strong, brother. Thank you for touching my life.

Anonymous said...

Dear Paul,
As painful as it is to hear your experience; is as important as it is to be there with you in the reality of this process. It’s very intimate to let your peeps share this time with you; and not many can do it well, or be as descriptive without being gross. That being said; I cry for you, and weep like a Mother does when the situation is helpless to control. Ah, there is the key word that you alluded to; Control. We have none, we never did, and yet we all continue to just “move the furniture” around like it matters. I guess it’s about the attitude we have while we are “moving the furniture” that gives us a sense of partnership with God. I’m not one for throwing things or furniture (because I would always have to be the one to clean up) but some people do; then others just push the furniture from room to room not getting the picture, yet expending the energy. Then there are people like you that think and pray and then with creative gestures you begin your design with fervor, and even change your direction as you see the plan evolve. With a desire in your heart, a smile on your face, and the designing of your own tune to play as you go; you are what we all pray to be – courageous with style! No wonder God enjoys spending time with you. You get it! You feel it! Tag – You are it! God bless and be with you each day to comfort those gruesome times, and give you that something funny to focus on while moving your furniture around! You have a crowd watching and admiring your journey! We Love you Paul. Thank you for sharing and letting us in on your walk. Love ya’ Shauna & Yosef

Bev Robison said...

Ditto what everybody else said. I don't think there's room here for another paragraph.

I like the way you move furniture, too.

Chris Davey said...

Quite the series of events Paul. You have set quite the example of strength and patience, with a smattering of humor for my little family. We think of the guys often.

Also, I know a 2 month old by the name of Arthur who could give you some great lessons on sleeping with your mouth open!

Angie K. Millgate said...

I feel sad, Paul... Last week sometime, I sat down and wrote some heartfelt, beautiful piece in this here comment box. Then, I typed in the cute little "word verification" thingy and pressed send. Apparently, somewhere between Send and Never Appear, my lovely comment was lost. So sad...

The gist of what I originally wrote went something like this (but, of course, more eloquent)...

Thank you for sharing your journey here. My heart reaches out to you as you go through this experience. Sending you love, peace and strength.

With love,
Angie