Tuesday, December 25, 2007

All Things Cobra



Nothing says "Christmas" like a 1965 AC Cobra. Although this project was birthed last Spring, it's Christmas-time now and Cobra is in the air. Besides my wife's teeth, my kids, Jesus, and music this is a passion I've always dreamed of. In case not everyone is up to speed (nice pun) I am building a replica 1965 Ford 427 AC Cobra.


Techies only need read this paragraph. It is a highly customized component replica. In other words, it is not a "kit car". I got the chasis and fiberglass body from Factory Five Racing, everything else (engine, tranny, rearend, braking system, fuel system, suspension and some specialty interior period correct components, etc) was custom made or ordered. I've anticipated about 300 hours to completely build the car of which I've widdled away about 150 so far. Front and rear suspension, brake system, and steering are complete (a rolling chasis). I am working on cockpit and engine bay aluminum and fuel system right now. I am about 8 hours away from installing the engine and transmission. Then cooling system and wiring harness to bring the beast to life. This is called the "go-cart" stage. It is drivable, but since the body and most interior is not installed it looks like a giant go-cart.

I had the engine professionally built out of state and shipped ready to install. For those of you who are interested, it is a Ford 351w with roller rockers and aluminum heads producing over 400 horse power. I've mated this to Ford's reknowned T5 transmission which, by the way is nearly a identical match to the Cobra's original 4-speed Top Loader in 1965. That drives an independent rear suspension from a 1996 Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe (again a nearly identical match to the original rearend) with a 3.55 final drive ratio.
More pics to come.

4 comments:

Tiffany Berg Coughran said...

This Cobra project is appropriately named "The Other Woman"! She is my husband's secret passion - Paul says second only to my teeth ; )

I'm thrilled with the process and how talented you are honey!!!

Go Speed Racer Go!

- Tiffany XXX

Chris Toe Fur said...

OOOOOOOO me wanna go fast! lol. about two weeks ago i went to a Go-Kart track and got to drive go-karts for the first time, they were electric and went up to 45 miles per hour. :D it was so much fun! driving around in your cobra is prolly more fun tho, maybe you'll let me drive it someday? :D eh eh? prolly not very likely lol. well until next time,

Sleep well Uncle Paul

Unknown said...

o ya. the "cobra" dats rite. i want to be one of the 1st ppl who can have a ride. [[well if i can ya kno. cuz you mite sale it. ya nvr kno]] well n.e ways. ya i cant wait till you finish it. im cheerin for ya.

hAnNaH said...

HaY DaDy LiKe YoUr bLoG iT iS cOoL
dUd hAnG WiTh Me YoU hOmY .....

yOu CoOl GaNgStEr...

sO ToCk WiTh Me YoU GaNgsTeR

g.O.g. I nEeD tO ToCk WiTh My PePEs
LoVe HaNnAh