Saturday, December 29, 2007

WOW...



You gotta love the new Intermountain Health Center Hospital. They really went the extra mile to make me feel comfortable during my overnite stay. Yes, this is at the hospital 6:30 a.m. on surgery morning. A complete surprise to me... Tiffany's dad, Jodi and Cheryl, who were there for support. This is how Tiffany stayed during the whole checking-in and surgery prep process. Needless to say, much of the hospital staff was eager to help in any way they could... very friendly.



The surgery lasted about 3 hours and I don't remember any of it. I must have fallen asleep. When I came to, I was being wheeled to my room where I met many friends and family who were excited to see, I can only imagine, the stitches in my neck (which are very cool by the way).



Dr. Robert Hunter removed about 2 inches of malignant tumor and most of the lymphnodes on the right-side of my neck. He didn't have to remove any jaw bone fortunately. He accessed all this through an 8 inch incision in my neck which left a great spot to put about 18 metal staples... very cool.


Tiffany was a trooper. She stayed the whole time and even spent the night. We were there about 27 hours total.


Warning: Graphic Material Included. People with weak stomachs or heart problems may not want to view this objectionable material, or may want to consult their doctor.


Eighteen metal staples to hold back the massive neck muscles. The doctor wants them out in about 10 days. I offered him more money to leave them in. It's still under negotiation. It has become a novalty. For a fee I'm letting people touch it. Hey, I have to cover the time off work somehow.















9 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW is right. That is some cut. Maybe it will scar really knarly looking...You know like areally cool frankenstein...you are part German right? So did you keep it in a glass jar? Can't really brag about how big it was unless we see it..
So glad you are home...and back to .....normal? Kawi's

Tiffany Berg Coughran said...

Oh my manly man! Glad to have him home in front of a fire and watching movies with me! We're learning all about wheatgrass and alkaline diets - guess that means no more Nutella and Fresca in our house!

A big thank you to all the peeps who have been such great encouragers during this time - Paul thanks you too!!!!!

Tiffany

Bev Robison said...

Wow! That is so cool. Can I touch it? Does it hurt? I was stapled shut once, too. I wonder if they could do it to my kids mouths...hmmm.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are getting way too much attention. And I don't think they have candy stripers that hot out here in California!

Enjoy it while it lasts...pretty soon you'll be back to work like the rest of us average joes.

Happy 2008!

Anonymous said...

Has anyone really wanted to touch it and actually has? Cause when you asked Hannah she backed away with wide eyes. Have you actually truly started on your atkins diet? ... tell the truth ;D HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Anonymous said...

"like the rest of us average joes."

I thought I was average joe. You're right about enjoying it while it last. I'm enjoying every minute of my life with Tiffany and my kids.
pauL

hAnNaH said...

hi dad. i hope you feel better soon. i like that scare you have on your face and neck. it looks pretty cool. remember i am turning 11 tomorrow the 4 of january love you. love hannah

Unknown said...

hey daddi. im so happy you are at home and feelin better. it makes me feel so much better.
well i love your blog. its awsome. mi fav pix of you is the one wit your ipod head phones on your nose. hahaha i love it. well i luv ya dad.
feel all better.
mwah.
<3 hayley ur fav lol

pauL said...

"ipod head phones on your nose."

What? I thought that was fibulator.