Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Seeing Past My Nose


Most know already that in 2003 I was diagnosed with oral skin cancer (scuamous cell carcinoma). About a silver dollar size of my lower mouth and cheek were surgically removed (first pic) and then went through some major reconstructive surgery (second pic) so my mouth would function semi-normally. Besides my mouth being extra small and having no feeling on that side of my face, life has been great cancer-free.

However, in November I noticed some pain whenever I opened my mouth to eat. I have recently had this looked at by my Oncologist and after a biopsy and cat scan have been diagnosed again with the same cancer. This time it has formed a large tumor against my right lower jaw bone and has attacked my lymph glands on the right-side of my neck. This Friday, the 28th of December, I am scheduled for emergency surgery.

So what goes on in the mind of a Paul Berg when cancer returns? I have learned to trust in God for my provision. Tiffany and I did not know where the $100 deposit for the surgery would come
from, but then on Christmas morning an anonomous gift of $100 and change was left on our doorstep.
I believe in the apostle Paul when he said "I
have learned to be content in all things". Christmas looked different this year for me. Instead of lots of toys under the tree, we got to just spend time together as a family.
Priceless!


5 comments:

Tiffany Berg Coughran said...

Babe, you are so handsome - from the inside out! ; )

Thank you for being funny, strong, compassionate and brave - inspite of these rough circumstances!

I love you!!

Tiffany XXX

Anonymous said...

Paul...
We love you and your family......Life has been so much funnier since we met you....What a huge and compassionate heart you have...God has blessed you with a beautiful wife(inside to out) and many wonderful children...Be strong and couragous...God will give you strength. Love P&C (aka..kawi's)

Anonymous said...

Paul,
We know you have the courage of Daniel and that this is only another hurdle to get through. We are praying for you and know that God has taken you on this path for a reason that you will only be able to understand later. He will hold you up, He will get you through, He will fill you with Peace as only He can, He will cover you and your family with His love and protection. Our love, thoughts, prayers and hearts are with you tomorrow. We are here for you anything we can do... you let us know. We will hold your coat, we will hold your arms up as Joshua did for Moses. You and God will make a miracle out of this.
God be with you all.
Love ya'
California Mom & Yosef

Chris Toe Fur said...

Man cancer sucks unc, i love how even in the face of danger your laughing. I miss you and your family so much, i need to take a trip out to utah sometime soon... after outreach though... "God it would be awesome if i could take a trip, after outreach, to utah to see my family" lol. i thought i would write that prayer down in this comment ;o) maybe god will make it happen, that would be so cool! well anyways im off to go leave a comment about your really fast Go-Cart :P

love ya Paul,

Chris Toe Fur

Anonymous said...

Pwalie,

You are so cool! I know that's the most important thing for you right now, so that's why I said it. I'll be praying and praying for you and I KNOW God has so much ahead for you, my friend!

Yee haw! This sure is an adventure, isn't it?!?

Love you!
Jodi (Van Rhizzle)