Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Head Transplant is Scheduled

The hospital finally called and gave us the time and day to check in for the Head Transplant surgery on me. Next Friday May 30th at 9am same hospital, the big new one, IMC. Since the new bone graf (free fibula flap right neck dissection) didn't take, then we're going with our back up plan. We found a donor match (God is good) so consultation is Tuesday at 3:30 and the actual transplant on Friday at 9am.

With technology the way it is today this will be an outpatient surgery but I will need a ride home. I should be able to use all five sensory functions right away, but some rehabilitation is expected. Oh, about the donor match... Jason Hewlett volunteered his head. The necks are a perfect match, so skin grafting will be kept at a minimum (which is good because the only really good skin I have left for transplant and grafting is right behind my..., well I guess that doesn't need to be shared).

Thanks for all of your support through all of this. This surgery will be open to public viewing, but no flash photography.

2 comments:

Bev Robison said...

That's a great idea! I've always told you to get rid of that ugly mug of yours! Did they give you a head-swap sample in photoshop first just to make sure you don't turn out freak-ish? I'd be happy to do a test run for you.

Anonymous said...

I love your humor (sick as it is) and your enthusiasm for a happy life. It is a joy to be around you and hope the "transplant" goes well, since Jason could be severly disappointed. Good luck on that and I say you don't have much more behind skin to lose! God is Good!
Shauna